Gaylord High School

GHS Dual Enrollment

Guidance - GHS Home


Most commonly asked questions

What is Dual Enrollment?                                                

Dual Enrollment (also called the "Postsecondary Enrollment Options Act") is a program that gives high school juniors and seniors the opportunity to be enrolled in both high school and college at the same time.  This program is sponsored by the State of Michigan and has existed since 1991.  When all of the criteria, identified by the state, are met, the student's tuition and applicable fees may be paid for by their school district.  

Who is eligible for Dual Enrollment?                                                                           Back to top

You must: 

  • be a high school junior or senior

  • enrolled in at least 1 high school course

  • have state endorsement in all subject areas of the High School Proficiency Test

What if I haven't passed all portions of the High School Proficiency Test?                                                    

If you haven't passed all portions of the High School Proficiency Test, you are eligible to dual enroll in courses in which you have achieved state endorsement, in computer science or foreign language not offered by the school district or in fine arts as permitted by the school district. 

Which courses qualify for Dual Enrollment?                                                      Back to top

A course that qualifies for dual enrollment must be: 

  • a course not offered by the school district

  • a course that is offered but is not available to the student because of a scheduling conflict, as determined by the Board of the school district

  • an academic course as opposed to an activity course

  • a course that is not in physical education, theology, divinity or religious education

How much time will I be spending in class?                                                    Back to top

If you take a 3 credit hour class, you will be in class for 3 hours each week.  On top of that, you will be expected to spend twice as many hours each week studying outside of class.  That means, you are committing almost 10 hours each week to one class.  Do you have that kind of time?

What if I don't do well in my college class?                                                          Back to top

You are beginning your permanent academic record when you start taking college classes, so it's important that you do as well as you can.  It's better to take fewer classes and ace them all than take more classes and have a poor GPA.  If you want to transfer to a different college or university at any time after high school, you will have to indicate that you attended courses here and request your transcripts to be sent.  Courses that you haven't passed will, of course, not transfer.                                                                                                                             Back to top

What mistakes do most dual enrolled students make? 

  • not attending class

  • not turning in assignments on time

  • assuming that missing several classes due to high school obligations, like sporting events is a valid excuse

  • not withdrawing from a class

  • not reading the textbook because the instructor doesn't mention it during lectures

What if I have a function at the high school I just can't miss?

First of all, check the syllabus for the instructor's policy on missing classes.  Secondly, contact the instructor to let them know you will not be attending and why.  This is common courtesy and gives you a chance to ask them how you can make up the work you will be missing.  The instructor does not have to make any special accommodations for you missing a class, so don't be surprised if you simply cannot turn in an assignment late or make up a test.  Basically, you are making choices about your time. Which is more important to you - making it to a high school function or doing well in a college class?  Remember everything you do affects your permanent record.                                                                                                                                    Back to top

What can I do if I have to turn in a late assignment?

It depends on your instructor's policy on accepting late assignments.  Make sure to check the syllabus and don't be surprised if their policy is to not accept any late assignments.  Regardless of your reason for not turning in your work on time, you cannot appeal this policy. 

GHS: Contact Us | E-mail our staff | Home  

90 Livingston, Gaylord, Michigan 49735


Comments or Questions - contact the

2002-2003 Gaylord Community Schools- All Rights Reserved   

Updated Sunday, February 23, 2003